that's a good looking 4 way system..i like the squished tennis balls
"those sounds to which no definite pitch can be assigned are usually classified as noise"<br />harvey fletcher-1928
2, yes. I like dual channel subs. The room is 13x23x7.5' Very dead room.
I am currently using M19's and 8184 18" Subs, 2 of course.
Ron
Enjoying Altec Speakers since 1972
I'm not currently using sub woofers for any of my Altec systems. However, if I were going to use sub woofers, I'd go with two sub woofers (left and right) as well. I know there is debate about low frequency directionality and our ability as humans to hear/differentiate stereo separation at frequencies that low--maybe not everyone can hear it. However, I think even if someone is incapable of hearing stereo separation down that low, most people can at least sense it. If the recording that you're listening to has kick drum panned partly to the right and bass guitar panned somewhat to the left for example, it's most likely panned that way for a reason. A lot of thought goes into that type of thing when producing/mixing a stereo studio recording. Possibly a controversial opinion (I'm not trying to be a Troll) but I think that for a stereo system, it's "wrong" to throw one single channel subwoofer in the middle of the room and have all of the lowest of frequencies panned dead center when frequencies slightly above them are panned left and right. You're not hearing the soundstage/panoramic separation that the artist/producer/engineer intended when recording/mixing the stereo recording. Stereo separation in a recording is part of the information that's been recorded, and you're losing information whenever you change stereo to mono at any frequency (or at least at any frequency that can be heard or "felt")....
Last edited by voice of the theater; August 1st, 2013 at 10:45 AM.
Being of "Sound" Mind
Recently, one channel of my DIY subwoofer X-over died. So I'm running both off the left channel only....and it sounds wrong to me. My sub amp is an old Kenwood KA9100 Integrated.
I believe there is something to left and right channels for the subs.
I cross at 70hz.
I'm ticked because I can't find my schematic for the thing to help troubleshoot it! Argh......
Ron
Enjoying Altec Speakers since 1972
Ron--the schematic and entire service manual are available for free download if you click on the link (below). You just have to sign up for a free account by providing them with a valid email address and then replying to the verification email that they send you. I just tried to download it and it is a PDF of the entire service manual including the schematic. Or, if you send me your email address in a PM, I can email the PDF to you. Hope this helps.....
Kenwood KA-9100 | Owners Manual, Service Manual, Schematics, Free Download | HiFi Engine
Being of "Sound" Mind
Hey thanks. I meant the schematic to my home built crossover....but I'll shoot you a PM for the KA9100.
Ron
Enjoying Altec Speakers since 1972
Kenwood schematic sent. Hope this helps you Ron, and thanks for all the help you've given me in the past....
Being of "Sound" Mind
This Is the one I wouldn't mind giving a try.
Google Image Result for http://usr.audioasylum.com/images/3/33876/100_1147.jpg
Bookmarks